Malhamdale Local History Group
Clicking on most pictures will show a larger version
At Bordley House about 1911 (named)
At Bordley Hall about 1921 (named)
The History of Education in Malhamdale
Lee Gate & Bordley Schools (c.1891-1928)
Malham Moor township is very large, mainly centred around Malham Tarn but on the Eastern side there is an elongated narrow section which includes Lee Gate and New House Farm, which adjoin Bordley Parish. Lee Gate is 3 miles from Kirkby Malham United School, 4 miles from Malham Tarn School, and about 5 miles from Threshfield and Cracoe Schools.
When attending Kirkby Malham the older Carr children travelled each day, taking turns to ride a pony. The younger children stayed in Malham monday to friday, with Maggie Hurtley at Cherry Tree Cottage .
The Log Book of Kirkby Malham United School 1891 records:-
The school was fee paying and held in the front room of Lee Gate, the teacher being Miss Bridges who lived with the Nelson family at Lee Gate. The children used the front door for access, and used a small door alongside the staircase to get coal for the fire, so as not to disturb the family. One of the Nelson family wrote an article for Rylstone Parish Magazine about the school at Lee Gate together with a photograph.
In 1905 the school moved to Bordley when a room at Bordley Hall, the home of Mr and Mrs Robinson, was given recognition as a temporary schoolroom and a teacher was provided by the LEA. At this point there were obviously discussions about a permanent building because a letter from the LEA to the Board of Education in London in 1905 when the temporary recognition was requested states:
This in fact never happened and the arrangement at Bordley Hall only lasted for two years due to the ill health of Mrs Robinson.
So in 1907 the school moved to its third location at Bordley House, the home of the Horner family whose five children were all to attend the school. The schoolroom was the Horner’s sitting room which an LEA letter to the Department of Education states:
The move to Bordley House was scheduled to be completed just before Miss Green left as teacher on May 31st 1907.
This arrangement at Bordley House lasted until the end of the school year of 1911 when the school was once again without premises and moved back to Bordley Hall to the room which had been used previously with the proviso that the toilet arrangements were improved. (Shortly after this the Horner family left Bordley House and the Foster family from Beckermonds moved in and stayed two to three years. Their children Florence and Winifred both attended the school at Bordley Hall.)
A photograph of children taken at Bordley House around 1911 shows the teacher Miss Elsie Simon, a Scotswoman, who lodged at Lainger House.
The children attending in 1911 were :-
The Banks family had been living at Park House since around 1898.
Another delightful photograph shows the children at Bordley Hall School
around 1922 with their teacher, Miss Poacher.
|design by KirkbyMalham.info